Summary: Here you will find how to migrate Exchange 2016 to Office 365 in an efficient manner. Multiple solutions will be discussed so that you can choose any one as per the requirements to move from Exchange to Office.
Most organizations using Exchange 2016 till now. But Microsoft announced its end of time soon. The Exchange 2016 will stop receiving updates after some time. All the Organizations have to move from Exchange 2016 to Office 365. There are multiple reasons to move to Office 365 as well.
Different Reasons to Move Mailbox from Exchange 2016 to Office 365
Microsoft 365 deals with the different tools, to handle the user’s data. Some of the major tasks are.
- It is a cloud-based technology, which provides several features to enhance the performance of the applications.
- You can easily access the data from any location with the help of the Internet.
- You will also get the additional tools, that will manage the organization’s tasks in a better way like SharePoint, Teams, and many more.
- Do not need to worry about the security of the data, it is compact with the latest security features.
- You will get updates on a regular basis to improve the efficiency and security of the data.
- This also saves the cost of the infrastructure, maintenance, and admin to manage the data. It uses the subscription services.
Different Methods to Migrate Exchange 2016 to Office 365
Migration can be performed in several ways. Let’s evaluate each one in a detailed manner.
- Cutover Migration
- Staged Migration
- IMAP Migration
- Hybrid Migration
- Professionally Migration.
Method 1: Move Mailbox From Exchange 2016 to Office 365 using Cutover Migration
- It can migrate only 2000 mailboxes.
- There might be chances of data loss and corruption during the migration.
- No one can access the data during the process of migration.
- Migration should be properly planned before execution.
- Data cannot be recovered in case of any failure.
Method 2: Use Staged Migration to Migrate Exchange 2016 Mailbox to Office 365
- It is only applicable to the 2003 or 2007 versions.
- This is more difficult to execute as compared to the cutover migration.
- Migrate the user’s mailboxes and the resource mailboxes only.
- When the data is huge in size, the process takes a long time.
Method 3: Migrate Exchange 2016 to Office 365 using IMAP Migration
- It cannot migrate contacts, tasks, and much more other than emails.
- Migrate only the 50,000 mailboxes.
- Emails should be in 35MB to migrate.
- Took too much time for large data.
Method 4: Explore Hybrid Migration to Move Mailbox From Exchange 2016 to Office 365
- It is not applicable on the deleted mailboxes to perform migration.
- Not able to migrate mailboxes that are in another format from Office 365.
- Large data cannot be migrated easily, because of its low performance.
Method 5: Professionally Migrate Exchange 2016 to Office 365 Step By Step
After evaluating the manual solutions, there is an insight that they are not worthy to use for the large data migration. The Professional method is expertly recommended to use for data migration easily. It uses the SysTools Exchange to Office 365 Migration Tool to perform the migration. It will take care of the data security and integrity throughout the migration. You should only take care of a few steps.
1. Download and set up the tool, then select Exchange as Source and Office 365 as the destination.
2. Now, select the data that you want to migrate from emails, calendars, and contacts.
3. Use the Date Filter to filter out the required data only and then Next.
4. Fill in some details such as Exchange server version, Admin Email, Admin Password, Active Directory IP, and Exchange Server IP, and check the checkbox on Sub Domain, Validate, and Next.
5. In the Destination window enter the Admin Email and Application ID. Then, click on Validate and Next.
6. Insert the users into the tool from Fetch Users, Import Users, and Download template options.
7. Then Start Migration.
Now, you are aware of how to migrate Exchange 2016 to Office 365 in detail. Here, different manual solutions have been discussed to perform migration. There are some problems associated with the manual approach due to which these are not suggested for use. The Professional approach is advised to use because it is fulfilling all of the limitations of manual solutions efficiently.